It’s an exciting time for VisitWiltshire, which has just announced the launch of the Great West Way – a new 125-mile touring route between London and Bristol that’s geared up to appeal to those who want to explore further and delve deeper, as they explore the trail’s seemingly endless twists and turns and encounter the very essence of England (go to GreatWestWay.co.uk to find out more).
Around a quarter of the Great West Way lies within the county of Wiltshire, the home of rolling downs, ancient woodlands, quaint market towns and, of course, the World Heritage Site of Stonehenge. Not to mention the glorious stately homes and gardens at Bowood, Stourhead and Lydiard Park, as well as Great Chalfield and Iford Manor
The county’s also home to museums such as REME, which tells the story of the Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, and animal attractions (think Longleat Safari Park, Cholderton and Studley Grange).
Fine examples of our industrial heritage can be found at STEAM – Museum of the Great Western Railway and Wadworth Brewery. While McArthurGlen Designer Outlet Swindon offers designer brands at discounts of up to 60%.
If a day spent exploring charming market towns is on your agenda for 2019, head to Corsham or Bradford on Avon, stroll through the picturesque villages of Lacock and Castle Combe, or sample Swindon’s entertainment and leisure scene.
Ancient, modern and timeless, the quintessentially English city of Salisbury is where medieval magnificence and contemporary culture unite. Among its unmissable attractions are Arundells and Mompesson House, while Salisbury Cathedral, with the tallest spire in Britain, the world’s oldest working clock and the nest of four remaining original Magna Carta manuscripts, is the city’s most iconic landmark.
It’s festival time
Festivals and events are at the heart of the Wiltshire experience:
- 2019 sees the return of the world-renowned Salisbury International Arts Festival and the 11th Stonehenge Summer Solstice Festival.
- Wyvern Theatre’s season of music, comedy, drama and more is sure to have something of interest.
- Looking ahead, Salisbury Cathedral will celebrate a major milestone in 2020 with the 800th anniversary of its foundation.
- With over 500 fabulous courses to choose from, Marlborough College Summer School provides an outstanding programme for all ages.
- To find out more go to visitwiltshire.co.uk/whats-on
Get me there
- Wiltshire is the ideal destination for your next day trip, short break or longer excursion. Just 90 minutes from London, an hour from the south coast, and two hours from the Midlands or Wales, it’s easily accessible too.
- Plan your trip to this historic county at www.visitwiltshire.co.uk/groups